Sunday, September 21, 2014

Preparedness Post #1- HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD

So here were my 10 goals from the preparedness fair. I'm working on #5 today:

1. Child ID cards. They started these at the fair. I just need to find them. And finish them.
2. Water storage
3. Food storage
4. 72 hour kits
5. Work on using more of the whole grains I do have stored, more home made items.
6. Canning
7. Gardening
8. Composting
9. Financial Preparedness
10. Medical/First Aid Supplies
Over the last few years I have been trying to make from scratch as much as possible, rather than buy it from the store. I tried homemade laundry soap. It was ok, don't know if I'll do it again. I tried homemade dishwasher soap and didn't like that. I've tried tortillas, just ok, I've tried pita bread, also just ok. But I've had successes too, and this is one I wanted to share.

I have had one too many late night or early morning runs to grocery store to buy bread for the boys lunches because I forgot I used the last slice. Also, Sprout doesn't like store bought bread, and I have to cut the crust off, so I usually use a hamburger bun for him.  Up to this point, any whole wheat bread I've made was better used as a hockey puck then for a sandwich. But I learned from a friend that WHITE WHEAT is the way to go, when she made 100% whole wheat cinnamon rolls that were melt in your mouth fluffy. Turns out all of the wheat I bought from the LDS cannery is red wheat, but I have 2 big 5 gallon buckets that I bought from somewhere else that are white wheat. Also, thanks to the Blendtec I just splurged on, I can grind wheat in my blender now, rather than having to break out the beast of a wheat grinder that I got handed down to me.  So I set out to find a recipe, and thanks to pinterest I found this one from An Oregon Cottage.

Soft 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

  • 6 to 6-1/2 c. whole WHITE wheat flour
  • 2-1/2 c. warm water (between 105-110 degrees)
  • 1-1/2 TB instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) – regular active dry yeast can be used as well
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 1/3 c. oil
  • 2-1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1-1/2 TB. vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL (I don’t use this anymore)
  1. Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15 minutes.
  2. Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only tablespoons of flour if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
  3. Form into two loaves and place in greased 9×5″ pans. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes (1-2 inches above pans). Preheat oven to 350 ten minutes before rising time is done.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
  5. Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack.
Makes 2 loaves

Seriously, it's like the most beautiful loaf of bread ever!  The best part is my kids love it. In fact, I ran out and had to use store bought bread for their lunches and they both asked me to not do that again!  Yay for small victories:)


1 comment: